McBride At Rest

McBride At Rest

Monday, February 23, 2015

Just A Rock




I was eleven, still four months from twelve. I was short for eleven, still waiting for the growth spurt that never came. But I was a gung-ho Boy Scout and had already earned my First Class rank, three steps up the ladder in less than a year. And now I was at Camp Tonkawa for a week. No low level advancement classes for first year Scouts for me. I was ready for merit badges classes, and that was a big deal to this eleven year old.


I also had been through all the Red Cross swimming classes at the neighborhood public swimming pool, but wasn’t old enough to take the Lifesaving class. So guess what merit badge class I signed up for at my first summer camp.


All of us who wanted to take the Life Saving Merit Badge class had to demonstrate our swimming skills and stamina to the waterfront staff. I did that, swimming across that cold dammed-up spring maybe a thousand times before they consented to let me in the lifesaving class.


The first class was the next morning and I was pumped. There were a dozen or so of us, all older and taller than me. So what. I was at home in the water, like a frog, and eager to get it on.


I was the first one chosen to do the initial drill to again show that we had the right stuff.  The day before we just swam to show we were good in the water. Today we had to swim with a rock on our hip. A simulated, unconscious person, as it were. Not a fighting, thrashing panicking person who would try to climb all over us, just a dead weight rock. No problem, it was just a rock.


The rock looked big, but I had swagger. I got in the water and stood next to the rock wall that lined the bank and had been built by the CCC some twenty-five years earlier, and made the spring such a fine well-defined swimming place.


I took the big rock in both hands, finding it heavier than I thought it would be, and shoved off.  I got the rock settled on one hip and used scissor kicks to keep going towards the middle of the springs. I had to use one hand to keep the big rock in place, so I did an improvised one-armed sidestroke to keep my head and shoulders up. I still had swagger, and said a little mantra, “It’s just a rock, just a rock.”


Halfway across the call came to stop and drop the rock. I did and it sank. Like a rock. I tread water and nodded when the Merit Badge Instructor from Hell yelled at me to go down after it and bring it back.


I nodded and did a fine fishy sort of arching dive and swam right down to the rock. I picked it up and pushed upwards, but didn’t go far. I let go of the rock and came up for air. Three times I did that. My kicks weren’t enough to propel me and the rock to the surface.


The orc on the bank yelled again for me get the rock and finish. I yelled back that I was trying to do that. He yelled that if I didn’t get the rock off the bottom and bring it to him, I was out of the class. I tried once more with no more success.


I swam to shore, got my towel and was told that was it for me. Maybe next year I’d be bigger and stronger. I nodded and made the long walk back to my tent on the other side of camp.


No one else was there, everyone being off to their own first morning of classes. I shut the tent flaps, lay down on my cot and cried like a kid. The swagger was on the bottom of the spring with that just-a-rock. No mom or dad, no big brother, not even the scoutmaster to console me. Just me and my shame and anger at my failure. It sucked, and the memory of it still sucks. It was a long day.


The next morning I started a different merit badge class, Nature, I think it was. When I turned fourteen I enrolled in a Red Cross Lifesaving Class at the YMCA. I was still the shortest student and probably the youngest, but I passed the big test after the series of Saturday classes. No rocks, though.


Where’s the tie-in of this little pity party tale from my childhood to the Civil War novels I’m writing half a century later? Only that I was at Camp Tonkawa, and an unnamed Tonkawa Indian brave is one of the first characters who John McBee meets in the Tangled Honor. Can’t say they become friends, but they have a brief relationship. I must have blotted out the memory of the just-a-rock story when I was writing that part of Tangled Honor, or I would have killed off that Tonkawa sonofabitch.  Writers can get even with bad memories that way.


Camp Tonkawa is no longer a Boy Scout camp, it’s now a privately-owned RV camp and the dammed-up spring swimming pool is still in use. The photo is from the RV camp website and is the very spot of my come-uppin’s that June morning in 1961. If you look closely, about half way out you can detect the just-a-rock on the bottom. Well, not really. But I can still see it down there, up close and personal.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. A warm morning to you, too, from San Antonio. I also attended summer camp at about 11 years old...the YMCA's Camp Flaming Arrow near Hunt, TX. Mom had just had a serious ladies' operation but still attended the awards program at the end of camp where I was chosen Honor Camper...I was a very polite son-of-a-Gunn in those days. During camp, I remember being dropped a thousand miles down river and paddling a canoe with my partner up river to Camp F.A. It took so long we missed lunch and dinner. The only thing left was bread and potato chips...ever have a potato chip sandwich? When you're starving, they're really quite delicious. Our medic was an Italian nurse who looked like a young Sophia Loren. I was madly in love with her...but that's another story.

    An incredibly sad story: A cousin of mine married and moved to Indiana in the 1840s. They had 9 children. 3 of them died at or near birth. Of the 3 girls, none made it past the age of 16. The 3 surviving boys joined up...2 died of disease and the last one died at Murfreesboro. The parents out lived all 9 children. So count your blessings, forget about the rock and hug your boys.

    Cuz'n Pete

    ReplyDelete