McBride At Rest

McBride At Rest

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

McBride's Medicated Papers & Other Bottom Delights




Remember the farmboy’s reply to his teacher when asked the difference between involvement and commitment?  After thinking a moment, the lad said, “I don’t know the big words, but when my mom cooks me a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken is in involved, but the pig’s committed.

My wife says in regards to my Civil War reenacting compulsion (compulsion is her word, I call it a hobby), I’m the pig, not the chicken. I can’t argue with her since in the past ten days I’ve travelled about 4,300 miles by car to take part in reenactments on two consecutive weekends in faraway states. In my defense, one of the other guys drove from Utah to Texas to join our carpool to North Carolina.

The two reenactments, at Bentonville, North Carolina and Mobile, Alabama, were the final two legs of my five-year Civil War pilgrimage. I took part in seventeen reenactments in twelve states, each event scheduled150 years to the week after the real battle, and held on or near the real battlefield. I suppose that qualifies as pig-headed commitment.

But now it’s done, and Nita can stop saying, “Really?” when I tell her I’m going to another 150th anniversary reenactment in a distant state.

I mentioned haversacks last week, the food bag soldiers used to carry. Since we reenactors are weekend faux-warriors, we don’t stuff our haversacks with modern MRE’s or uncooked chunks of beef or bacon, ground cornmeal, or hardtack crackers. Instead, the haversacks become our man purses. Here’s what fell out of mine when I got home from Fort Blakely, Alabama:

A package of “McBride’s Medicated Papers: The Necessity of the Age” (Tissue paper wrapped in a period wrapper copied from the first commercial stacking toilet paper). An unpainted pencil. A clever knife-spoon-fork combo like I had as a Boy Scout. A round tin for my modern Advil, Lipitor, and Zyrtek pills.  A little plastic bottle of eye drops.  My modern glasses.  Modern point and shoot camera.  A red-checked hankie.  A cloth sack of peanuts. Two pieces of hardtack. A squashed wax-wrapped Baby Bell cheese ball.  A little bruised apple.

Bookwise, I’m still stalled at the starting line of the chapter in which Captain McBee leads the Leon Hunters up the side of Little Round Top at Gettysburg. Since Gettysburg was the tipping point of the war for Lee’s army, it’s an important chapter from a historical perspective and I want to get it right.

Moreover, after being unstoppable during a handful of bloody battles the prior year, Gettysburg was the first time that the Texas soldiers under General Hood failed to carry the ground they were ordered to attack.

To make things even worse, in coming up short of their objective, the 5th Texas Regiment lost over 100 soldiers, 25% of their men, when they were cut off and  captured with the regiment’s wounded colonel near the crest of Little Round Top.

July 2nd was not a good day for the 5th Texas Infantry, and there will be angst among Captain McBee’s company by dusk, that is, once I kick-start my keyboard and write the danged chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment