McBride At Rest

McBride At Rest

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Old Soldiers' Letters, Modern Prisoners' Books

It’s breakfast time and I’m sitting in a motel room in north Atlanta, here visiting family to celebrate my mom’s ninetieth birthday. In my e-mail in-basket this morning sat a message from a lady in San Antonio who I’ve never met. I don’t know if she’s seventeen or seventy, but she’s an e-mail friend with whom I’ve corresponded about a topic of mutual interest. Our shared topic of interest being the men of the real “Alamo Rifles,” the militia company from San Antonio in the 1850’s.

Historically, those men became Company K, Sixth Texas Infantry Regiment, after the Civil War started. Back then, whole companies were formed of friends, family, and neighbors from the same community. It made for tightly-knit companies of men who cared for each other and would be more likely to help each other through the hard patches, of which the Alamo Rifles encountered their fair share.

 My first novel, Whittled Away, follows the historical path taken by the Sixth Texas Regiment, the book title coming from the Alamo Rifles steady loss of men, going from fifty-six soldiers who marched out of San Antonio in the spring of 1862, down to two soldiers who were present for the final surrender of their regiment in April of 1865.  A steady whittling away of the young men through three years of war.

In real life, only two members of the Alamo Rifles lasted until the final laying-down of their muskets at the war’s end. One of the two was a young fellow named Antonio Bustillos. I’d heard that one of Bustillos’ letters home, written while he was soldiering in Georgia, resides in the archive collection of the Alamo. Going to see the letter has been one of those things I “need” to do. Perhaps I’ve not done it because I figured there’s a good chance that the letter is written in Spanish, a language I don’t read or speak.

Regardless, my first happy surprise for the week was the e-mail message from my "virtual friend" with transcriptions of two letters Private Bustillos wrote home to family in San Antonio. One of the letters was written in May, 1864 in Dalton, Georgia, and the other in August, 1864 in Atlanta, Georgia, just a few miles from where I’m sitting at this moment.

Civil War soldiers wrote lots and lots of letters home. Military historians value soldiers’ letters as “primary sources,” - words put to paper by men whose eyes had actually seen the battles and events they describe.

However, the reality is that most soldiers’ letters, Bustillos included, addressed things nearer to the hearts of soldiers than the battles they’ve fought or the hardships they’ve endured. They wrote about the welfare of friends who were also soldiers, inquired about family, and routinely wrote things like, “Tell Sweet Mary and Mama I miss them.”

So letters, even as primary sources, tend to be of spotty value to military historians.  But they are still fun to read if you are trying to get into the heads of men who lived 150 years ago in order to bring their personalities to life in a novel. Now, I wish I’d read Bustillos’ two letters before I wrote Whittled Away, because I’d have included him as a likable character- and one I wouldn’t have to kill off along the way.

The second happy surprise this week came from my brother, who is also in Atlanta for our mom’s birthday celebration. Brother John is a retired teacher and volunteers one day a week teaching a class about religion at a prison in north Georgia. The prison sits just across the highway from the Chickamauga National Battlefield Park. The battle at Chickamauga is a big part of the story in Whittled Away, the first mega-battle where the Alamo Rifles were engaged.

A few months ago John asked if I had spare copies of Whittled Away and Tangled Honor that I might send to him to share with the prison inmates in his class. I sent six copies, three of each title, and forgot about it. Yesterday, John told me that the books are popular with his students, and are being passed around. 

There’s not much religion in my novels, except for the lightning strike that killed some soldiers during a revival service being held in a thunder storm-an event that really happened. But the inmates can perhaps connect somehow to the fact they are pretty much living on top of the battlefield featured in Whittled Away.

It’s not a big deal, nonetheless I am very happy that my novels are being read in that most unlikely of places, by such an unlikely audience. So, my thanks to John for being his brother’s “bookman,” taking a couple of good war tales to men who are serving hard time in prison for poor choices made somewhere along the way. 

If the stories of Jesús and Bain, and Captain McBee, Levi, and Faith, can entertain, maybe teach a little American history, and make some of those fellows’ long days pass faster, then those are six book copies being darned well used.

Finally, I have to thank Brother John a second time for giving me a quick tutorial on sword drill - fencing. John used to fence and coached high school fencers for a decade or more. I told him I need to write a scene involving sword drill for McBee and the other company officers in the  regiment, men who were elected to their positions,  but had never been to a military academy, yet were now expected to carry swords every day, and actually fight with them if needed.

So, John and I stood in his son’s living room with ten-inch long plastic straw swords so he could show me what “closing your line” means, and how to “bind” your enemy’s sword before he pokes you through the heart. Fun stuff like that.

I wrote the sword drill scene this morning and he gave me a brotherly stamp of “it’ll do.”


 And that’ll do for me. Talk to you next week sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment