McBride At Rest

McBride At Rest

Friday, March 4, 2016

David's Hands

I ask your forgiveness right up front. So to speak. But this morning I can’t help myself.

I’ve promised my blog posts will remain focused on the Civil War, writing, and sometimes family. Nothing political. Last summer I strayed, giving my thoughts about the venerable old Confedereate battle flag. Last night another of those “I can’t ignore this” tidbits came along.

Hands. Big hands, little hands. Short fingers, long fingers. And whether or not big or little hands reflect other size matters.

First of all, I cannot believe two serious contenders for the nomination to represent a major political party in this year’s Presidential election would ever, would ever, would ever, get into a literal “mine is longer than yours” spat on national TV. Holy Moly. How low can we go?

But I gotta admit, it was funny, too, in a comedy club sort of way. But never in a Presidential Candidate Debate sort of way.

Appropriateness of the venue aside, my wife and I and jillions of other tourists have gazed in awe at Michelangelo’s answer to that eternal question, the one so crudely addressed by two of our wannabe President candidates. That’s my wife Nita in Italy in 1999 staring up at David’s “hands.” He is so tall, I couldn’t get David and Nita both in the frame without turning the camera cock-eyed. I pretend she gazes at me in such a way.



The other photo came off the internet today. It’s seems David is getting a long-needed good scrubbing. The nasty little boy in me sure would like to see a photo of some pretty Italian lady, Sophia Loren maybe, taking a soapy brush to David’s…you know.



Okay, I got it out of my system. Enough of such juvenile silliness. I hope our Presidential candidates now feel the same.

Next week's post will be back to the Civil War.



3 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! And lovely photos, too. The closest I'll ever get to the David statue is the replica of it that was at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Los Angeles the last time I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. I'm not sure what to say about the debate thing, except I don't believe ANYTHING the media says. Unless I'm there in person, I'm taking it all with a grain of salt.

    I'm tire of being manipulated and told what to think and who is this and who is that. From where I sit, the media is clueless because they only have their slanted very left wing perspective. And that's as deep as I'm going.

    If nothing else the statue should remind us to REMEMBER THE PERSPECTIVE.

    ~ Tam Francis ~
    www.girlinthejitterbugdress.com

    ReplyDelete