McBride At Rest

McBride At Rest

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Endless Deck & The Unclimbable Hill


Five days ago I started prying the thirty-five ten-foot long decking boards off the thirty-year-old deck frame at the back of our house. Then, with son Todd’s help, we pieced together a new wood frame of fresh 2x6 boards on top of our old cracked cement patio, adjacent to the old deck frame. Finally for the past three days, Todd, good neighbor Wayne, and I have set, sawn, and screwed on some sixty-eight brand new decking boards to create a new dance hall sized wooden deck that’s fifteen feet wide and twenty-five feet long. All that effort is to have the new giant deck finished in time for the late April wedding weekend of son Ben and his fiance Meredith.

You can see the nearly-finished product, and I confess I’m pleased with how it came out. It took longer and cost more, as all home projects do, and would have taken even much longer than anticipated, except for a hesitant question asked by sweet Nita. She was holding grandson Jackson and politely listening as I explained how every long board had to be measured, cut, and laid in place to get a sharp straight edge on both ends of the deck. I stressed how tedious and time consuming, but necessary, that sort of fine carpentry work was.

When I shut up, Nita asked, “I don’t understand why you are taking the time to measure and cut each board. Why not just set them, screw them in place, and go back later with a circular saw and cut off all the end pieces at once?”

Duh.  I know Jackson didn’t say it, but I still thought:  From the mouth of babes…

So that’s what we did from then on, and it more than halved the time needed to place and secure each board. I just finished sawing off all the end pieces at once, and it’s OK. Thank you, Nita.

The only other noteworthy point about the construction of the endless deck was carrying forty-six 16-ft-long boards one at a time from the garage, through the kitchen and breakfast room, and out the French doors to the construction site. We didn’t sideswipe a single glass on the countertop or break a single glass pane in the door.

Novel-wise, I have finally written the first draft of the great failed attack on Little Round Top at Gettysburg. In this chapter, Captain McBee and the Leon Hunters are in the maelstrom of the second day of the famous battle that kept the USA united and was the beginning of the end for the Confederacy.

In real life, the Fifth Texas Regiment was among the eight or so Confederate regiments that attacked at the critical point (the far left end of the Union "fishhook" position), at the critical time, or more correctly, an hour after the critical time. A successful attack across the aptly named “Valley of Death,” then up the slope of Little Round Top really might have won the battle, and changed the course of the Civil War. But we know, of course, that the attack faltered and failed.

Gettysburg is the first battle failure for McBee and his men, and it was a bloody affair for them. I’ve pulled out books of memoirs and the stack of old Gettysburg magazines I bought at the park back in the 1990’s.  I found four different detailed articles in the magazines focusing on different defending Union regiments that held the ridge and the Confederate units that were attacking. I’ve studied maps, and have thought back to my own four visits to Little Round Top to walk the ground. As a novelist whose characters are players in a very well known bit of military history, I want this chapter to be right.   

I’m also striving to make the Gettysburg chapter fast paced and personal, to show one critical slice of the battle through the eyes of a few men who I hope my readers have come to like. 
Finally I want the chapter to show just how close it was. Or maybe it wasn’t close at all. It depends on who is talking. Regardless, when people finish reading about Captain McBee and Company C at Gettysburg on July 2, 1863, I want them to shut the book and say, “Damn, that was a horserace!”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment